Alert Center

Alert Center allows you to view all alerts and emergencies in your area. If there are alerts or emergencies, they will be listed below by category. To be instantly notified of alerts and emergencies subscribe to Notify Me® or RSS.

Senior Recreation Center

0 Alerts
There are currently no alerts for this category.

Urbandale Alerts

1 Alert
July 1, 2018 2:20 PM

City of Urbandale Responds to Weekend Flash Flooding

On Saturday, June 30 and Sunday, July 1 heavy rain fell throughout the Des Moines Metro causing dangerous flash flooding in Urbandale. All roadways in Urbandale have been assessed for damage and are open to traffic. Trails in the Urbandale Parks System...

Read On...

Latest Update:

July 11, 2018 8:14 AM

Immediate assistance Individuals can visit the Disaster Recovery Center (2309 Euclid Ave.) to get immediate help from flood damage. The Disaster Recovery Center is open Monday, July 9, 2018 until 4:00 PM. After Monday, July 9, 2018, please contact the following organizations by the phone numbers listed below.

Polk County Health Department – medical assessment, help with medications and tetanus vaccines. For additional information, please call (515) 286-3798.

Polk County Health Services – mental health services and resources. For additional information, please call (515) 243-4545.

Polk County Public Works – pumps to assist cleaning out basements. For additional information, please call (515) 286-3705.

Polk County General Assistance – financial assistance with bills, rent and any other flood expenses. For additional information, please call (515) 286-2088.

United Way – volunteer coordination. For additional information, please call (515) 246-6519.

Red Cross – clean up kits, case management and food and clothing assistance and resources. For additional information, please call (515) 243-7681.

MidAmerican Energy – help with turning gas and electric back on in homes. For additional information, please call 1-888-427-5632.

IMPACT – provide temporary housing, food assistance, personal property assistance and home repair. For additional information, please call (515) 274-1334.

Iowa Legal Aid – legal assistance for tenants with flood damage questions and concerns. For additional information, please call (515) 243-1193.

Salvation Army – flood recovery kits, food assistance and additional assistance. For additional information, please call (515) 282-3599.

Polk County Emergency Management – free volunteer assistance to move water damaged property from your home. Call (515) 286-2154 or (515) 286-2155 to request help.

What financial assistance is available to flood impacted residents?
The Iowa Individual Assistance Grant Program for qualifying residents of Polk County. The grant program provides up to $5,000 for households with incomes up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level or a maximum annual income of $41,560 for a family of three. Grants are available for home or car repairs, replacement of clothing or food and temporary housing expenses not covered by insurance or other grant programs. Original receipts are required for those seeking reimbursement for actual expenses related to storm recovery. The grant application and instructions are available on the Iowa Department of Human Services website at Potential applicants have 45 days from the date of the proclamation to submit a claim. For information on the Individual Assistance Grant Program in Polk County, contact IMPACT Community Action Partnership at

Will residents be able to get federal funding such as FEMA?
In order to qualify for federal funding, Polk County is working to report the extent and severity of damage to FEMA. FEMA then determines our qualification for federal and individual assistance. To meet this threshold, it is very important for residents to report a damage assessment to 211, the Disaster Recovery Center or self-report it to Polk County Emergency Management’s website where it says “Click here to report impacts from flash floods.” Make sure to take LOTS of pictures for damage reports so we can see the physical damage done to your home or property. Polk County and the impacted cities are working very hard to get the damage assessments completed in a timely manner.